Children with ASD
We recognize that parents with children with autism spectrum disorders face a host of unique challenges in identifying resources and providers experienced in assessment and treatment of pervasive developmental disorders. We further recognize the importance and effort it takes to obtain a diagnosis and to coordinate treatment with many specialty professionals including speech therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, behavioral training programs, outpatient therapy, and psychiatric services. That is why we have dedicated a care manager who works in this specialty area to help parents navigate local and statewide resources. Each child is unique in their developmental needs, medical conditions, and educational/school programming.
MBHN can assist in meeting the needs of families with a child with an autism spectrum disorder. Information and benefit coverage is subject to each member’s health plan Certificate of Coverage. MBHN offers the following range of services:
- Designated specialized Care Management services to assist families in arranging treatment and coordinating care. The Care Manager is a licensed clinical social worker who works telephonically with the family and providers in coordinating care.
- The MBHN provider network includes traditional behavioral health providers such as psychiatrists, psychologists, and therapist. MBHN also has providers that specialize in behavioral training such as Board Certified Behavior Analysts known as BCBA’s, agencies and facilities that specialize in treatment of PDD including applied behavior analysis programsreferred to as ABA programs; these provide in-home services or facility based programs, LOVAAS, and CARF accredited autism treatment programs.
- Guidance to families in hiring direct care workers in geographic areas where agency-employed direct care staff are not available.
- Protocols for assessment, evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of PDD.
- Coordination of care with primary care providers.
- Understanding and compliance with state mandate regulatory provisions.
For more information contact New Avenues, Care Management Department, at 800-232-6246. Ask for the Autism Program Care Manager.